There is more to Jersey than just the shore.
With the nationwide popularity of shows like “Jersey Shore,” “Real Housewives of New Jersey,” and “Cake Boss,” it seems that these days, good old Jerz is the place to be. But Snookie, Teresa, and Buddy aren’t the only things going on in the Garden State. Craft beer mania is channel surfing eastward across the Delaware River and landing a regular spot in the lineup of bars and stores that boast selections to rival those in Philly. With this issue, we launch our dedicated coverage of the most densely populated state in the union and hereby present to you…
The Best (Drinking) Reasons to Cross the Bridge.
- The Westmont section of Haddon Township packs eight good beer bars into several walkable, tree-lined suburban blocks. Want to escape the hectic city scene but don’t want to make the five-minute trip in your car? A quick PATCO ride costs $2.35 each way and drops you off within a few steps of the taverns.
- No case law, no case law, no case law. Or, as one distributor puts it, “Here, you don’t have to take a 24 beer leap of faith.
- No armed “enforcement agents” dropping by unannounced.
- Da’ shore. Crack open a frosty bottle and wiggle your toes in the sand. Then, send pictures of yourself doing this to all the poor schleps who are stuck in the city.
- Oh yeah, that pint you pay $5 for in Center City (and more like $8 in Manayunk)? How ‘bout $4 in Jerz?